Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rest In Peace Gene,,

I have spent most of this week organizing a funeral luncheon for a friend and neighbor.
Gene died suddenly last Thursday and since some of his family has to come from other states the funeral is on Saturday.

Getting the food together isn't the hard part, it is not knowing how many people will be there. You know you don't have RSVP's for a funeral. These are very active people so I expect a crowd, and I do enjoy a challenge.

Meanwhile Hubba has lost a buddy and my friend Rita has joined his widow network.
It is a group that Hubba helps out with their finances. It is growing way to fast.

Update April 4,2009..Saturday
Today we said goodbye to our friend Gene, we had planned for about 200 people at the luncheon and I had enough people bringing food to cover it.
Obviously Gene was looking down and grinning with his big smile!
There was well over 350 people at the service, we served about 320 of them.
People who hadn't been called were coming in with hot dishes and salads and platters of meat and cheese or we wouldn't have had enough.
It reminded me of the Loaves and the fishes, no one went hungry.

5 comments:

K-Rod said...

My deepest sympathies, I hope all goes well for you and yours in this time of loss. Remember the good times; cherish them.

Flash said...

Gene was one in a million! Many Many fond memories!

Chris said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend...what you and your husband are doing is the best way to show your affection for him, and his wife...take care.

Riot Kitty said...

I'm sorry to hear this, sweetie. Tomorrow would have been my great aunt's b.day, and I'm sad about that loss, too - so we can be the sad twins tomorrow.

D said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear the news. I had to attend a funeral for someone who died very suddenly, a few months ago. I'm really not a fan of the whole death thing. Then again, not many people are.