Saturday, July 19, 2008

Snow Flower

Have you ever read a book you can't get out of your mind?
Or characters that are so real you feel like they are friends.
You know what I mean?

While I am trying to read another book, my brain flashes back to the previous one.
It doesn't happen that often, but it is happening now and I am just going to have to wait it out.

A few days ago I finished reading a beautiful book,
Snow Flower and the secret fan by Lisa See.
It takes place in 19th century China when women of an upper class would have their feet bound, the smallness and shape of the feet would determine how good a marriage one would make.
While living mostly in seclusion, they developed their own secret code so they can communicate with each other, they record their messages on a silk fan, or embroider them on hankies.
It is a love story, not only between Lily and her chosen husband but mostly between Lily and her friend Snow Flower who she meets at the age of seven.
The story follows them through different stages of their lives, through happy and sad times.

It is a movie waiting to happen, I could visualize every scene and I hope some screen writer picks it up.

If you liked Memoirs of a Geisha, then you will love this book too.

I know it's not a guy book, but "hey" you guys go to the new Batman movie while
we are reading.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bookreading is so special. One of the local Phoenix News Anchors approached me to handle a special project Reading for the Blind and I have accepted. The books I've read by Steve McQueen's wives have stories that are so well told they stay with me.

fineartist said...

I remember when I first read the Mysts of Avalon, I walked around for months thinking like the book talked, "Dost thou wish to.." I was full of poopeth for a very long time, but what a good read.

This one sounds wonderful too, I'll have to check it out. xx

Riot Kitty said...

That sounds like a good one - I have been plowing through books lately (to make up for the time during the walk when I didn't read any???) It feels like filling up on all kinds of dessert without the calories.

alan said...

Much more a "me" book than her, but then she's the one who really wants to see "Batman" as well...

Hmmmmmmm!

alan